He practiced law in Chapel Hill from 1975 to 1993 as a trial lawyer in the State and Federal courts of North Carolina. In the early 1990s, he chaired the efforts of the NCBA to implement mediation in the State’s civil trial courts. Prior to setting up his mediation practice, Andy has 17 years experience as a trial lawyer in commercial, personal injury, domestic, and criminal cases. Andy’s practice is now devoted exclusively to conducting mediated settlement conferences and teaching others mediation skills and techniques.
Andy has practiced as a full-time mediator for over 30 years and has mediated over 6,200 cases. He’s also trained over 3,100 mediators for civil and family court programs and developed advance techniques to resolve insured claims and other monetary disputes. They are detailed in his book, Making Money Talk, which was published by the ABA in 2007.
Andy has served on the NC Dispute Resolution Commission, the state agency which certifies and regulates mediators, for many terms and has twice chaired it by appointment of two different Chief Justices.
Andy Little is trained and certified as a Civil Trial Court and Family Mediator. With a flourishing fulltime practice and over 29 years of experience in mediation, Andy has mediated in excess of 6,200 cases.
Mr. Little chaired the committees that created the mediation programs in North Carolina. He was the first Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Section, served two terms on the Dispute Resolution Commission, and served as the Commission’s Chair by appointment of the Chief Justice.
Court System Innovator
- Chair, NC Dispute Resolution Commission:
Appointed by Chief Justices Lake and Parker
DRC oversees training, certification & regulation of mediators.
- Chair of Dispute Resolution Committee, NC Bar Association and First Chair of its Dispute Resolution Section.
- Leadership Efforts led to establishment of mandatory mediation and other settlement procedures in civil trial courts of North Carolina.
Experienced Trial Attorney and Mediator
- Trained and certified as Civil Trial Court and Family Mediator.
- 30 years experience in mediation in over 6,200 cases.
- 17 years experience as trial lawyer in commercial, personal injury, domestic & criminal cases.
- Practice now devoted exclusively to conducting mediated settlement conferences, teaching mediation and negotiation skills, and conducting Arbitrations.
Mediation and Negotiation Trainer
- Lead trainer with Mediation, Inc. in its Civil Trial Court and Family Mediation Courses.
- Each course is 40 hour course leading to certification by DRC.
- Lead Trainer in Mediation, Inc.’s negotiation courses for trial lawyers.
- Over 3,100 participants since 1994.
- Developed special techniques for the mediation of insured claims.
- Developed and conducted Advanced Mediation training for trial court mediators.
- Authored Making Money Talk:How to Mediate Insured Claims and Other Monetary Disputes, a book published by the American Bar Association.
Davidson College, A.B. 1966
Union Theological Seminary, MDiv. 1970
UNC School of Law, JD, 1975